Monday, July 20, 2015

When She Woke by Hillary Jordan | Book Review


I've been looking forward to writing this review since I finished the book a couple of months ago. I've been intrigued by this book ever since I saw the synopsis and saw that they COLOUR people as their criminal sentence. Like actually colour their skin in colours that match the intensity of their crime. I mean... WHAT??


Our main character, Hannah, is convicted of murder and so
she was sentenced to be a Red Chrome. Every part of her is red, every one on the street knows she's a murderer, everybody treats her differently because of it. In this future, abortion is considered murder (which is mind-blowing!!). She goes to several phases after being chromed, trying the religious path, facing anti-chromes, seeing the people's treatment to her just because she's chromed without waiting for any explanation.


I still can't wrap my mind around that they are being coloured. They're not even imprisoned (except for a week or something) and the rest of the punishment is going around the world, living with everyone knowing you committed a crime, everyone judging you. What is that?!! That is a new level cruelty.


The writing was surprisingly good. I say surprisingly because I haven't heard anything about this book before and I went through with zero expectations. What was really interesting about the writing, though, is that it's really a trilogy. That's what happens when a trilogy is published as one book. As I went through it, I could see where each of the (imaginary) books would end and the (imaginary) sequel would begin which was super interesting because I've always wondered how a trilogy could be a standalone. So there it is. I think I prefer the three books, though xD.



For more reviews check out my Goodreads page.


No comments:

Post a Comment